Sunday 3 April 2011

Interview with Christina Lamb

Write a section of an interview with Christina Lamb for a women's magazine, focusing on the 'double life' issue. You should adapt the source and write about 300 words, to come in the middle of the piece.


Christina Lamb : I do not feel that I am abandoning my child in any way (1.0) I am there for him when he needs me, I provide for him, I am there for him when he is ill, I am only a phone call away.


Interviewer : You claim to be there for your child, however your time is dominated by your work. Your husband has the pressure of looking after him. I know that you are a very successful and independent women, but seriously do you not think that your son deserves more attention?


Christina Lamb : Excuse me, are you trying to insinuate that I am a bad parent because I work? If so, I am a excellent parent, I provide my son with everything he needs.



Interviewer : Mrs. Lamb, I am sorry if I have offended you in any way. I am not assuming anything however, your work plays a very important role within your life, am I right?


Christina Lamb : Yes it does, I want to show women who have children that they can have a career and still be a good parent. I get such a thrill from my job, I love being in the heart of the action. I am the person who informs the world about day to day affairs about War, a job that most people can not handle.


Interviewer : I can personally say that you are a very strong women for doing your job. I could not do it. But do you not miss your family?


Christina Lamb : Of course I miss them, but I knew that I would have to spend days abroad when I took on the job. But I think that I am able to juggle my family life with my work life.


Interviewer : How can you juggle them both, if you spend more time working than you do with your own family. Surely your family is more important?


Christina Lamb : This is a question which I have no specific answer to. My work life means the world to me, I have reached my goal of becoming a successful war correspondent. But my son is my flesh and blood, he is a part of me, and he deserves my undivided attention 24/7. I would love to spend more time with my family, but that would mean spending less time working and that is not an option.

4 comments:

  1. WWW
    Took into account the purpose of the interview
    Linked with source material

    EBI
    The interviewer wasn't so harsh!

    20/25

    ReplyDelete
  2. www: clear grasp of task with stylistic shaping evident. Successful language use for audience.

    ebi: needs to be longer
    Mark band 3: (18 marks)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WWW- Good use in language techniques and characterisation of Christina Lamb by the way she spoke.


    EBI- Sounded more like a debate than an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. www - I like the abrasive nature of the interview, it shows that you have considered the potential for conflict and how an aggressive interviewer can unsettle a guest. However, this is more often the feature of a live interview where the conditions are controlled by the broadcaster and medium. An interview in a magazine would be different - how and why?

    ebi - grammar, some basic errors, use of the phrase 'if so' doesn't make sense with the preceding remarks.

    - too general a discussion, you need to draw more explicitly on the source material in terms of anecdote, imagery and language.


    COMMENTARY: please also write a commentary for everything you do as this helps with reflecting on the recast work and may help improve it.

    ReplyDelete